Saturday, August 27, 2005

Tom Petty

Photo_#63.jpg

Last night we went to the Greek Theater in Berkeley, CA. It was quite a drive, but I must admit that it was completely worth it. I have never been a huge Tom Petty fan, in the past. I am affraid that will just have to change. After seeing him live I can completely understand how they can have been around for 30 years together.

The comoradory on the stage is astounding. I was very surprised to see older gentlemen, all came out wearing jackets, or sport coats if you will. They all seemed to be very interested in what they were donig. They all seem to love the music. I will say that thier music, at least live, is what all of Rock and Roll should aspire to be. The show does not rely on astounding special effects, fire, or any big to do on stage, they rely on the music, which I must say they seem to have mastered.

The man who plays the piano is incredible. I have never seen anyone who had such a mastry of the keys, of sound. The lead guitarist was also very gifted. The solo's that they performed were incredible. I must say that if you were not to see them live you may never truly appreciate what they are all about. I don't think you can get a true impression of them without being there.

Through the cloud of smoke the music prevailed, and I for one am thrilled that I had the opportunity to attend such an amazing show.

The Black Crows were the opening band, and they were very good, though they seemed as if they were stuck in 1972, which is very possible since it is the type of music that they play. They were not nearly as diverse as Tom Petty who played songs that could have been played by Elvis, something that Aerosmith would have been proud of and of course his own brand of incredible . . . Well, its Rock and Roll, it isn't rock, not like Metallica, or anything hard like that, but what Rock and Roll was meant to be. It is a true appreciation of the music that they play. They just loved playing, and they loved the crowd. If you ever have a chance to see them JUMP at it, and let yourself free fall out into nothing. . .

No comments: